An End to Getting Even

end2The more I read the sermon on the mount the more I am reminded of the quote from C. K. Chesterton, “Christianity has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found difficult and not tried.”  Discipleship is a radical lifestyle.  It is radical in that those who follow Jesus’ teachings will be very different from society around them.  It is so radical that one lifetime is not long enough to fully master the principles involved.  Fortunately, we are not limited by one lifetime.  Jesus gives his followers eternal life so that what is learned now will somehow pay great rewards in our future life.

How many times in the sermon on the mount do you see the phrase “great is your reward in heaven”?  That is not simply an empty phrase, Jesus is telling us that whatever we put into living the kingdom NOW will be rewarded THEN.

My biggest take away from today’s lesson is to think creatively in how to respond to evil.  How can I play a part in diffusing rather than adding fuel to explosive situations?  When insulted? When threatened with a lawsuit?  When compelled to do something burdensome?  When asked to help someone I don’t like?  How can I love my enemy in such a way that I respond to evil with blessing?

I want to do what I can to bring an end to getting even.  What about you?  Let’s show the world a better way by how we live and not just by saying religious platitudes.

Byron FikePreaching Minister

Byron has been the preaching minister at Clear Lake since 1999. He and his wife have three grown children, who have also devoted their lives to serving the Lord. In his personal time, Byron likes to read books, watch movies, and play with his little dog Willie. He also is an avid follower of Alabama football, having grown up in Tuscaloosa during the glory days of Bear Bryant.

Comments

6 Responses to “An End to Getting Even”

1. avatar Talisha says:

I am persecuted a lot and I get thrown evil in my direction quite a bit, in ways to where I am able to feel and see hell and where Jesus went when HE died on that cross.

I practice Blessing the enemy because TRUTH is he does not realize he is hurting himself, when he attacks me I see his future and its sad so I pray and ask God for mercy on his soul

I forgive him and keep going forward to the cross along side Jesus!!!
    I know the enemy hates me but JESUS Loves Me and that is ALL I need.

I pray the enemy Bow to Jesus and God and worship HIM

I have witnessed the enemy getting really angry when you do love and forgive him but he cant do a thing , but throw a fit!!!

God is so Awesome!!! hopefully with a lot of forgiveness and love he will easily bow to God.

Just Sharing a thought

• avatar Byron Fike says:

Jesus’ teaching about loving enemies is about human enemies. We are not told to pray for the Evil One since repentance appears to be beyond his reach. God said to the serpent in the garden, “I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel” (Genesis 3:15). The fate of the devil has been sealed. The final picture of him in the New Testament is being cast into lake of burning sulfur (Revelation 20:10). Our response to the Evil One is to resist him and be aware of his lies. Pray for those who have been taken captive by his deceit and have themselves become evil. They are the one’s Jesus calls to love.

• avatar Talisha says:

It is the human enemies I speak about, the ones who do not know Jesus, those are the one I pray for, they are the ones I am drawn to.

When they are bad to me and attack me with all kinds of things that hurt, I focus my attention on Jesus and what HE went through, It is like if I was hit on my right check I would turn my left check to let him hit again and would ask God to have grace and mercy on that persons soul, for they do not know what they are doing to themselves when they hate on another.

It is hard alot of times especially when you get bombarted with evil words and hate but Keeping Jesus in the most sacred part of my heart and soul gets me through the deepest and darkest parts of Hell!!!

In my commitment to Jesus when I was emmeresed I went ALL THE WAY with HIM, buried with him and arose with him and have stayed listening always to how God wants me to be. God is who creates my Character!!!

We have an Awesome God!!!!!

PS….. Every eye will see and every knee will bow!!!!

Revelation 1:7
        The Voice (VOICE)

7 Look! He is coming with the clouds, in glory.
        He will capture every eye,
        Even of those who pierced Him through.
        All the nations of the earth will be pierced with grief when He appears.

Yes, may all this be done according to His plan. Amen.

To God Be All The Glory In Jesus Name

I thank God for the Body of Beleivers in the Church of Christ and ALL the support given to each one in the congregation.

I am also thankful for the Prayers which are so very much needed and appreciated!!!!
        Thank You Byron for leading us in the Word!!!

• avatar Byron Fike says:

Sorry I misunderstood your earlier post. Keep fighting the good fight! (1 Timothy 6:12)

• avatar Talisha says:

Here is what Speaks to my Heart

2 Timothy 1:12 tells me……..

12 I am suffering now ·because I tell the Good News [L for this reason], but I am not ashamed, because I know the One in whom I have ·believed [put my trust/faith]. And I am ·sure [convinced; confident] he is able to ·protect [guard; keep safe] what ·he has trusted me with [or I have entrusted with him; L my deposit/entrustment] until that day [C the final day of judgment and reward].

Byron no matter what happens here to me I Promise, I promise and Give my Sons My Word My Sons and Grandsons…ALL THE WAY
            I Give You, Liz and Sharon and Barry and all Believers and congregation My Word that I will continue to Fight the Good Fight
            I Will ALL THE WAY TO ETERNITY!!!

2. avatar Stephen Carman says:

Playing catch-up since returning to Saudi Arabia….

I like your point, “we are not to be ruled by emotions but by our will” … unfortunately, it seems that we live in an environment that preys on our emotions. Whether it is the retailer trying to coax us to spend our money, our sports team soliciting our most enthusiastic support, the politician seeking our vote, the media, our family, friends, and on an on, the target is frequently our emotions.

I find I am most complete, mature, “perfect” as you point out, is when I am intentional in my response, willful. When I let my emotions lead in the response, I am often embarrassed, sometimes to the point of being ashamed. Thanks for your message.